There is an old saying here that goes, "As American as baseball, mom, and apple pie." How about this one on for size: "As American as Baseball, mater, and mincemeat pie." No? Doesn't have quite the same ring to it? Well, if this story is to be believed, then instead of hot dogs, Yankee Stadium may have to start selling bangers and mash. Now, being the the harbinger of useless knowledge that I am, I do know that baseball is actually a meshing of cricket and rounders, with rounders being a child's game in the UK. I was advised by my former paramedic colleague from England that baseball was 'a kid's game being played by overpaid adults." Clearly he didn't understand the esteem that our national pastime is held in.
Then again, with this new finding, he may have been on to something.
I wonder how this will change the face of our blessed game? Here are some possibilities. Feel free to suggest some more. (I'm sure my UK friends will be more than glad to chime in...)
1. Teams will now be required to wear all-white uniforms. No individual colors will be allowed.
2. Players will be required to respond with the phrase "Yes, guv'nor." to all requests by the manager.
3. "Take Me Out To The Ball Game," the traditional baseball song, will be replaced by either the pub song of choice, or possibly "God Save The Queen." The "Star Spangeld Banner" will remain the opening song of the game, as it is derived from a drinking song anyway.
4. The "Seventh Inning Stretch" will be replaced with the "Seventh Inning Tea Time."
5. The World Series, a.k.a. the "Fall Classic," will be replaced by a series of test matches that will go on for at least 2 days minimum.
If you can think of anything else, let's have it......
spring flowers - I am quite fond of this series of Wildflowers of Canada that came out in 1977 and try to collect as many as I can from my stamp dealer to use for Postcross...
4 days ago