Wow, and wow. The lovely gemmak has given me a blog award. It really spurs me on, and gives me confidence. As I am in the process of trying to become a full-time freelance writer, I decided to blog as a way to get into the habit of writing on a regular basis.
I am ever so grateful, and as she requested, here are my 5 choices for an award:
These first two are the first blogs I ever read, and really helped me gravitate towards this brave new world. I still read them regularly.
1. Petite Anglaise - A francophone ex-pat Brit, living in Paris for over a decade. A newly married cradle robber, with her precocious daughter "Tadpole" by way of her ex-lover, ("Mr. Frog") her prose is lyrical, imaginative, and she is pretty damn gutsy as well. (Not to mention soft on the eyes. ;-) ) After being dooced from the uptight British firm she worked for, she took on the suits and won a monetary award from them for being unlawfully fired. Now a best selling author, she has become something of an international blogging star. C'est magnifique!
2. My Boyfriend Is A Twat - Another ex-pat Brit, this time in Brussels, Zoe chronicles life with the twat she loves best, Andy, a.k.a "Quarsan." (Read the blog to find out the origin of his nom de plume.) She descirbes her family as a cross between "Absolutely Fabulous," "My Family," and "The Osbournes," and that is on good days. Tell her she's gorgeous, how much you love her book, and she will be your friend. Just don't mention sheds, or death awaits ye with nasty, sharp pointy teeth. Her podcasts are a hoot as well.
...and now for the remaining 3:
3. Random Acts Of Reality - Tom Reynolds, an EMT with the London Ambulance Service, presents the good, the bad, and the totally absurd world of emergency medical services. As an ex-paramedic from NYC myself, it is always nice to see that no matter where the lights and sirens are going off, some universal constants remain. Overcrowded ER's. system abusers, drunks, and all manner of patients; Reynolds paints an accurate picture of the daily life of the EMT, and why this job can take its toll.
4. Dragonfly Dreaming - As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a woman!" A woman of uncommon talents, I am consistently awed at her ability to write prose that is akin to taking a turn in the electric chair; it will make your hair stand on end with its uncompromising take on life, sex, her kids, sex, her job, sex...well, you get the picture. ;-) If more people were this open and honest, the world might be a better place. I only wish I had more of her audacious nature.
5. Antwerp Calling - From his home base in Antwerp, Belgium, Peter gives us slices of life in a country suffering from multiple personality disorder. Half French speaking, half Dutch speaking, with a little German speaking region thrown in for good measure, Belgium always appears to be coming apart at the seams. Its chocolate entices us, its beer makes us envious, its architecture is gorgeous, but it is a country that can take things to extremes. From hedonistic gay pride festivals, to consistently rainy weather, to tourist invasions, Peter chronicles it all with humor and sharp insights. Now if we can only get him and his SO over here...
So there you have it. It is a shame I only had to choose 5, as there are others I would love to have mentioned, but that will be next time.