Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Middle School Idol

So, the job issue has been laid to rest, an article I edited for a friend was published, and if all goes well there will be more editing work thrown my way for money. I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend the dentist, whose marketing materials I'll be copyediting, as I did a single letter for him gratis to show what I'm capable of. Two interesting things came my way today via my theatre.

I got a note from an organization in NYC that uses actors to train police officers to interview victims of child sexual abuse. They use adult actors (for obvious reasons), and were looking for a man, and two women. I volunteered myself, especially in light of the fact that they pay $100 for the day, which consists of about 4 hours of work total. Not too bad, actually. They're based in NYC, but travel all over the state conducting these classes, and will be doing it up here at the local public safety training center, not too far from where I live.

The second note was from a local middle school drama society that is trying to help promote local theatre as part of its efforts. They are having a talent night, and needed prizes for first, second, and third place. We often do ticket giveaways at our theatre for these types of causes, but they also asked for something extra: they needed a guest judge for the event. We were going to send one of our other people there, but the talent show was canceled from its original date, so he can no longer make it.

Up went my hand. Why, I don't know.

So now I will be the next Simon Cowell for a bunch of middle school drama students. I'm hoping to be surprised, and maybe they will tackle something like, "Waiting For Godot," or perhaps "Death Of A Salesman," or maybe even a piece from "Marat/Sade." Then again, maybe not.

I'm not quite sure what to expect, after all, they are middle schoolers. All I can hope for is something a bit more advanced than say, Jack And The Beanstalk?

7 comments:

jay said...

Haha! I can just imagine you being Simon Cowell at a Jack and the Beanstalk production! LOL! But, you know you'd do just fine, whatever it was. Good for you for volunteering!

Interesting about the police training. I've never thought about it, but of course they'd need someone to act the part of the child. Should be interesting and educational as well as a nice little earner.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Have fun with the judging!! I bet at least a few kiddos blow you away!

Hallie :)

Zed said...

You, as Simon Cowell? LOL. Remember to bleach your teeth and bring out the inner bitch in you. They are vital requirements à la Cowell.

Good luck on the child abuse training - it sounds very interesting. Keep us posted, dude :)

Sistertex said...

You know we did 'Waiting for Godot' in HS.

Good luck, you will probably have a great time with it all! :)

Mr. Nighttime said...

Jay - "I'm sorry, but your Jack is just pitiful. I mean really. You should probably just pack it in now and go home." There. How's that? ;-)

Hallie - I actually just got an email from the teacher that is organizing this. Apparently, it is more than just acting, but singing, and other acts as well. From what I've been told by sources in the know, the kids at this school are very, very talented. I have hope now.

Zed-Should I brush my teeth with Clorox then? ;-)

Sistertex - You did "Godot?" Oh you poor thing. ;-) I know it's a classic play, but one has to wonder if Beckett even understood what he wrote. After over three hours of it, I wanted to open a vein... ;-)

Shrinky said...

Beware of parents offering bribes and threats (wink). It's sounds a fun thing to do, hope it is. As for the other thing, wow, it never even crossed my mind such training courses existed, but that said, it's reassuring and good to think they do.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I hope they surprise you in a really good way and they bring out the nicer side of Cowell in you, yes, I've seen him saying good things too. Shees, he's baaaaad. But funny.